Monday, February 1, 2016

Song Suggestion: Beautiful, Not Broken by Kaylie Stewart



I found out about Kaylie Stewart through some inspired events and meetings. I messaged her on Facebook after learning she is a survivor herself of sexual assault. From what I heard, her latest EP (mini album) describes her healing process. After messaging with her I purchased her EP from iTunes and I loved what I heard.

The first song I listened to was "Beautiful Not Broken." In general I hate songs that are positive about overcoming trauma, and from the title that's what I figured this song would be. But I was wrong. She recognizes life can never be the same after violence against a person, however it doesn't mean you are forever broken. I love the lines:

"The cracks become our stories written underneath our skin
Dress your cracks in gold, you're beautiful not broken"

You can listen to a sampling of this song here. Or purchase it here. After my rapes and abuse I know that I can never be the same again. But that's okay, I can take this opportunity to grow through the pain. As she sings:

"Don't be afraid to open up and feel the pain
Embrace the beauty of the gold that glistens through your veins."

That is what I pray for every day. To be better tomorrow then I am today, to help someone else...

"You were born with the strength to fall and rise again."

Did you listen to her music? What did you think? What songs touch you?

2 comments:

  1. Isn't her album amazing?
    I first heard Tainted 2 years ago and it saved my life. That was the first time I realized that I'm not alone, that others feel the same things. It was also the first time I realized that what I was feeling was because of the abuse I went through.
    And most important of all it gave me hope that things could be better, that someday I could hold my head high and not see myself as tainted.
    My friends talk about "that depressing song" I always want to sing, but for me it's all about that hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you found her music too! Some days her vocalization of my pain is exactly what I need to get through. Thank you so much for sharing this with me! How are you doing now? Have you been able to find the help and support you need to begin healing?

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to publish or not publish comments based on its tone or content. We can all be kind while being honest.