Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Ways I Ground Myself




I am always looking for new ways to ground myself when I have anxiety. Today I was in an athletic store shopping for my husband when I saw a pair of basketball shorts the same color that my rapist wore. It didn't matter that they weren't the exact same, it didn't matter that he wasn't in the store with me, my brain sensed a danger and began to protect me. Even now writing this I can feel my heart race as I think of the terror I felt looking at fabric hanging from a clothing rack.

I have had to make a list of things I can do when I feel this way. Talking myself down doesn't work and trying to remember what helps is very difficult when my body is reacting in panic. So here is some of what I use and some links to other suggestions as well as more in depth explanations:
  1. "Satan go away!" I say this mentally or out loud. This helps me gain a little more strength and control over my own body. 
  2. I pray for help. Just a quick "Heavenly Father please help me!" said out loud or in silence reminds me I am not alone in this.
  3. I smell vetiver. Vetiver is an essential oil that can help ground you emotionally. I found this to be incredibly helpful to me. I keep a bottle close and smell it when I am panicked and it helps to sooth me. I also put some on my wrists and behind my ears when I am going to a family event or out in public to help with my anxiety.
  4. I use my senses. My therapist suggested I use all of my senses to recognize something where I'm at. For example: I feel the floor under my feet, I smell the lotion on my hands, I hear the noise of a key board, I see the lamp in the corner of the room ... I have also heard this called "Where am I?" For me I use this when I am starting to begin an attack, and to stop it. When the tunnel vision begins I fight back with this tool. Also when I am unable to control dissociation I use this. 
  5. I go to my happy place. I have created an imaginary place where I am safe and at peace. It has sights and sounds and textures. When my trauma therapist suggested I do this I thought it was dumb. But I have begun to think of it when I need to feel safe, and it has been a wonderful tool for me. I have also heard it referred to as "My Place"
  6. I take a bath. My husband suggests this when I can't seem to calm down. When I'm on edge for hours and can't work through it. I take a bath with Epsom salt and Serenity essential oil. Sitting in the bath smelling the fragrance helps me to physically release what I have been emotionally working through. 
  7. I do a Body Scan. I read a book by Jon Kabat-Zinn and in it he describes how to start at your toes and slowly relax every part of your body. I do this when I'm in bed trying to fall asleep and can't due to anxiety. There is something similar called "Robot" I have heard about.
  8. Belly breathing. I have done this in yoga and found it helpful, however I just read that it helps to watch your belly as you do it. To see how you control the air going in and out. Watch it go up and down with your breadths. I need to try this. 
  9. Distraction. This used to be my first go to tool, thankfully it doesn't have to be. I found that distracting myself just seemed to push the anxiety deeper within me and it would then create anger on the outside as I struggled to keep it together on the inside. However, I just read of a new suggested distraction technique I am going to try ... saying the alphabet backwards.
In the case of my shopping experience today, I really panicked. I was in a crowded store and unable to deal with what I was feeling. I did belly breathing and tried to distract myself. Then when I got home I smelled my vetiver and prayed. When I have a rough experience that affects me for hours I feel I have to "reset" myself. For me this is taking a shower, bath or nap. This gives me a fresh start from my fear.

What helps you to ground yourself? Have you tried any of these?

1 comment:

  1. I've tried the belly breathing, but not looking at my stomach. Interesting ideas. It definitely helps to pray. Some of these techniques seem like mindfulness. I've tried the 3 good things at night before bed.

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to publish or not publish comments based on its tone or content. We can all be kind while being honest.