Sunday, January 10, 2016

Talk Suggestion: The Comforter by Henry B. Eyring

(image borrowed from lds.org)

When I heard the talk "The Comforter" by Henry B. Eyring in the General Women's Meeting I knew it was for me, and those around me. I was comforted by his words and so thankful for them.

He said "Many are praying to Heavenly Father for relief, for help in carrying their grief, loneliness, and fear." Yes. I pray constantly, frantically for help in overcoming my fear and anxiety. I don't want to have the haunting memories, the feelings of being alone and being broken anymore from my rape. 

President Eyring then said "The burdens His faithful servants must carry in life are made lighter by His Atonement. The burden of sin can be taken away, but the trials of mortal life for good people can still be heavy burdens." This is a truth that I had only recently begun to understand - The Atonement is not just for those who have sinned, but those who have been sinned against. I had been sinned against, and the Atonement could provide relief to me too. 

Then he quotes Mosiah 24:14 :
And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.

What hit me about this quote is that it says "I will also ease the burdens .... while you are in bondage..." It doesn't say he will free us from bondage or take away the burdens, He will ease them. It was then that I realized that I shouldn't be upset when after I pray I still have memories, anxiety and fear ... but be grateful that with the Lord's help I can move forward while dealing with these. The crime committed against me and others is so evil that the pain will last a long time and can't be erased overnight. However, with the Lord's help I wont drown in my grief and pain, I can move forward. 

One big goal of mine has been to try to take away the pain of others who have experienced similar trauma as mine. But this doesn't work. I can't take away another's pain. President Eyring said "We lighten the loads of others best by helping the Lord strengthen them." This was clear instruction for me as I realized that I cannot "save" anyone, I do not have that power. But Jesus Christ does. And he is the best to help and love those that have been hurt. 

President Eyring also stated "Only God knows hearts, and so only He can say, in truth, 'I know how you feel.' " Every victim of sexual assault is different, every assault is different. The trauma experienced is personal. My pain is not another's pain and I can only support and love one who is healing from their wounds, I cannot heal for them.

I also had this belief that I couldn't help others until I was fully "healed". But I have realized that is wrong. I can do good no matter where I am in life or in my healing process. President Eyring stated "... you have a feeling to want to help a person struggling to move forward under a load of grief and difficulty. You promised that you would help the Lord make their burdens light and be comforted. You were given the power to help lighten those loads when you received the gift of the Holy Ghost." We all have things we can do to help love one another. And the Lord knows best what we and other's need. The Spirit speaks to our heart and little acts of kindness from one to another can make a huge difference in a person's life. I know this has been the case for me. Someone weeding my yard, calling me on the phone, helping me load my groceries or giving me a hug have helped "save" me on days when I needed help. We can all strive to do that.

Did you hear the talk? What touched you? Do you feel Heavenly Father loves you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to publish or not publish comments based on its tone or content. We can all be kind while being honest.