Friday, October 16, 2015

Talk Suggestion: Let God Judge Between Me and Thee by Elder Pinegar

"Let God Judge Between Me and Thee" by Elder Pinegar

I loved this talk. It was the only LDS talk I could find that describes rape trauma. He compares it to having your home robbed, the personal violation taking away the safety that was once felt there. He also describes how in a home robbery we do not blame the home, as we should not blame a victim in rape. No one wants to be raped. No one deserves to be raped. It is a violent and intrusive crime.

At the end of the talk he states:
"Perhaps the most significant step that one can take ... is to realize that the innocent victim of a crime is still acceptable before the Lord, that she may still have faith in him, that his concern for her has not lessened, and that her standing in the Church has not diminished. This truth, embedded in her heart, will rekindle within her a confidence in the Lord, in Church leaders, in good men, and in herself, confidence she will need in order to realize her fullest potential."

This statement applies to all men and women who have been raped, molested, and abused. I personally know how hard it is to remind myself that I am loved, wanted and needed when someone treated me as the complete opposite. I have to remind myself that we are on this Earth for a purpose, not just to needlessly suffer. And I know that when I pray to feel God's love, I feel it. He answers my prayers and fills my heart with warmth and love. I was raped, but that is not who I am. It was a horrific crime committed against me that I fight to heal from. With God's help I pray to turn this experience into something positive to help others and I am grateful for men like the late Elder Pinegar who stands up and supports victims of sexual assault everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to publish or not publish comments based on its tone or content. We can all be kind while being honest.