Saturday, November 7, 2015

Book Suggestion: Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio by Peg Kehret


 (Image borrowed from Peg Kehret site)

Having so many triggers has greatly reduced what I allow myself to be exposed to. My avoidance level is extreamly high. However, I read an article that discussed how Bibliotherapy can help us heal. This made sense to me. Reading about a fictional or nonfictional character overcoming tough obstacles creates hope and strength mentally within me. I really wanted to try this but couldn't find a book list specific to PTSD from rape (anyone want to help me create one?). Thankfully I stumbled across the book Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio.  I loved it. 

It's not about rape! But it's about courage in hard times, suffering from wounds that were be no means "deserved" and coming out stronger. She was scarred, but stronger for having gone through it. This book really taught me how my pain is very similar to others. The pain is the same, but the cause of it may be completely different. This allowed me to see the pain in others, my pain reflecting in their own pain. I was able to connect as I never have before.

Some of my favorite quotes:
1) "When I began to write about my polio days, long forgotten memories bubbled to the surface. I was astonished by the intense emotions these memories brought with them. Those months more than any other time in my life, molded my personality." (p10)
2) "I am not, I decided, going to lie here and be helpless for the rest of my life. I'm going to fight." (p34)
3) " 'I'm proud of you for working so hard.' That's all he said. That's all he needed to say. The words of encouragement changed my behavior far more effectively than the therapists scolding ... I wanted not only to please him, I wanted it for myself. If I had to stretch my muscles in order to walk again, then I would stretch my muscles, no matter how much it hurt." (p58)
4) When thinking about what other children her age were concerned with (being liked, clothes etc.) she said "Now none of this mattered. I had faced death. I had lived with excruciating pain and with lonliness and uncertanty about the future." (p67)
5) "Trying to get along in the normal world was too hard. I still needed more help than my well-meaning family could provide." (p118)

Have you read the book? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to publish or not publish comments based on its tone or content. We can all be kind while being honest.