Friday, November 6, 2015

Talk Suggestion: “Hope Ya Know, We Had a Hard Time” By Elder Cook

 (Image borrowed from lds.org)

I watched the talk "Hope ya know, We Had a Hard Time" By Elder Quentin L. Cook the other night and really appreciated it. I felt I related more to it than I thought I would. He points out a prayer in Doctrine and Covenants that Joseph Smith offers. I found it very similar to some of my own prayers at times:

"...O Lord, how long shall they suffer these wrongs and unlawful oppressions, before thine heart shall be softened toward them, and thy bowels be moved with compassion toward them?

Let thine anger be kindled against our enemies; and, in the fury of thine heart, with thy sword avenge us of our wrongs." (Doctrine and Covenants 121:3&4)

And the Lord answered him: "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment..." (Doctrine and Covenants 121:7)

I'm so grateful Elder Cook reminded me of this scripture. Our time here on earth is limited. Even if I suffer from PTSD for the remainder of my life, it's not all eternity. The Lord's time is different than my time.

I find it funny how I mentally assign an end date to my suffering and other's too. Like somehow I have control or knowledge of when things will be better. But the reality is I have very little. This talk reminded me of the woman healed from the blood ailment in Matthew 9:20-22.  She was faithful and was healed, but it took 12 years of suffering to get there. The Lord's "small moment" may be days, years or a lifetime, but it will not be eternity. This gives me strength and hope. I can do this.

Some of my favorite quotes from this talk are:
1) "We are all subject to the conflict between good and evil and the contrast between light and dark, hope and despair."
2)  "Whatever the source of the trials, they cause significant pain and suffering for individuals and those who love them."
3) ... “there is no grief, no pain, no sickness so great that the Atonement of Christ and the love of Christ cannot heal.”





Did you watch the talk? What stood out to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to publish or not publish comments based on its tone or content. We can all be kind while being honest.