Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Book Suggestion: Wherever You Go That is Where You Are by Jon Kabat Zinn

 (image borrowed from Goodreads.com)

A friend of mine who counsels trauma survivors suggested the book by Jon Kabat Zinn Wherever You Go That is Where You Are. I found it on YouTube (although I can't seem to anymore) and listened to it while I cleaned and ran. I really enjoyed it. He teaches mindfulness, and how to be present in the moment. It made sense to me. Here are some of my favorite points I learned:
  • Right now are the best moments of your life. Be present and aware of them.
  • Behind impatience is anger.
  • Let it go. Stop resisting and struggling ... consciously release it.
  • Be complete in the moment without seeking anything else.
I've learned that I dissociate almost constantly. It's my survival mechanism. Instead of being here in the now I'd rather be planning or thinking about the future. That is because I just can't deal with the here and now. It's too much. I feel like a failure, I'm afraid and I feel worthless - why would I want to be "here"? I didn't realize I was doing this though until a therapist mentioned that I should try to see, smell and feel things around me. I quickly realized that when I was focused on the thoughts in my mind, I couldn't see, smell or feel. I was dissociating.This book helped me overcome that by giving me tools and exercises, which I am very grateful for.

In his book he gives several examples of meditation. My favorite was the walking meditation. I could do it while on the go. Being aware of every footstep, how my feet felt touching the ground. How my body connected and moved with each step, and then controlling that step. Moving slower and more deliberate, owning that step. It was really neat. (I'm sorry I couldn't find an example of it online to share)

Another favorite is the body scan. I do this before bed when I can't seem to calm my mind. I try to feel every piece of my body and release the stress I am holding.

Have you tried mindfulness or any of Dr. Jon Kabat Zinn's books? What helped you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to publish or not publish comments based on its tone or content. We can all be kind while being honest.